Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default 'puter MB's requiring ddr2 memory

mike wrote:
Hi,

Today I acquired my 2nd MB that requires ddr2 memory, from my usual
source, the local scrapyard.

The computer-box is a Lenovo, made about 2008 and has a 160 Gb hdd and
2 sticks of 1 Gb memory - I'd assume that it is standard ddr2 memory
except that it says in a one line description on each stick
"1GB,DD2 DIMM,F", (marked as made by PNY). I have to wonder if it's
counterfeit and the makers just couldn't spell ddr2; however, I was
able to find a few references to dd2 memory by DAGS, which mostly
referred to PC2-4200 memory.

So far, after disassembling, cleaning, replacing the cmos battery and
reassembling the box, I've not had any luck starting it, not really
surprising considering I paid a couple bucks for it. I've got five
different ddr2 sticks now (actually 2 dd2 sticks and 3 ddr2 sticks) ,
3 different working power supplys, and just downloaded some tech info
from the Lenovo site, but I don't know if that's gonna be enough to
get it running. Anyway, just curious if anyone else is seeing ddr2
memory marked as dd2. (Okay, I guess I'm gloating a little bit too,
but know I'm really not entitled to at this point.)

Thanks in advance for any info,
Mike

Aren't ddr ddr2 ddr3 incompatible? different notch placement???

IBM did some strange stuff in the old days.
I had a computer that had simms with the same chips, but wouldn't boot.
Legend had it that they changed the contents of the configuration chip
to render them incompatible to keep all the upgrade $$$ to themselves.