Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Good sound; intermittent picture.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 04:06:01 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 07:24:03 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

micky wrote:

The picture can be restored by bending the co-ax TV input cable one
way or the other. Sometimes this lasts for days at a couple hours
each day. Other times it lasts for 10 seconds.

Have you tried replacing the coax? It seems to me for a couple of bucks,
you can avoid a lot of effort if it works.

I've replaced it in that the guy who gave me the tv had the very same
problem with his coax and his location.

The very same problem and the very same remedy. He got the picture
back by jiggling or moving the coax.

The antenna connector could be loose, or corroded. If you have any DeOxit,

I can get it or something like it.

put a drop on the end of a toothpick and clean the center contact of
the antenna socket. If it's an F connector, which is designed for bare
wire as the center contact use something thinner, like a bent paperclip.

Yes, an F-connector. Okay, I'll do that, but is it really conceivalbe
that a bad connection there will affect the blank out the picture but
leave the sound undamaged? I hope so.

Geoff.