Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Hacking APC UPS's "Master/Controlled" Feature?

Per Nelson:
Your understanding of how it should work is the same as the user
guide's:

Idle peripheral devices (printer/scanners, speakers) continue to draw power
when not in use. To conserve power, the Back-UPS uses ³master controlled
outlets². The Master outlet senses when the master device (computer) that is
plugged into the Master outlet is no longer drawing current, and
automatically shuts off power to the Controlled outlets. Pressing the MASTER
ENABLE button for one second enables and disables this feature. When enabled,

the green MASTER ENABLE LED is lit (on). When it is disabled, the LED is not
lit (off). The Back-UPS ships with MASTER ENABLE activated. Note: Do not
connect peripherals to the Controlled Outlets if you want them to continue to

run when your computer is turned off.

Perhaps you have inadvertently disabled it? Did you try pushing the
button as mentioned?

The lawyers or some other clever souls added weasel words in the
User's Guide | 2 Connect Equipment | Master/Controlled Outlets |
"Note: Do not connect peripherals to the Controlled Outlets if
you want them to continue to run when your computer is turned
off."

For the life of my I can't imagine why they would inflict such a
flawed implementation on their customers. I mean... this is an
Uninterruptible Power Supply, not a friggin power strip... it's
all *about* function when the power fails.

The least they could have done is put that little disclaimer on
the outside of the box.
--
PeteCresswell