Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default home-brew Freon TF substitutes?

gregz wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
had some drums hidden away...
Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
now also banned.
There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
but has 9% water usually.

Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available
99.9% pure, with a negligible water content.

--

Jeff

I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade'
is typically at least 99.7% to get that rating

Arfa

the IPA commonly available at drug stores is usually 90-91%,I
believe,at least in the US.

--
Jim Yanik

Probably the same here, which is why you have to go to an electronic
parts supplier to get the electronics grade one

Arfa

I don't know if US parts suppliers even carry IPA in any percentage.

besides,after you open your bottle of 99% IPA,it probably absorbs enough
moisture from the air to drop it to 91%..... ;-)

Hmm,IIRC,Everclear (grain alcohol from a liquor store) is 95% ethanol.
I believe it's the highest % of alcohol lawfully sold for drinking
purposes.

Probably similar to lab grade 95% higher grades cannot be drunk. They used
to use lab grade to spike the punch. Had some high purity isopropyl. By the
time the alcohol dries, there is water droplets on boards. Must be dried
with warm air.

99% turns to 100% water.

Greg

Adding to the problem, the cooling effect from alcohol evaporation causes
condensation of water vapor.

Greg