Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default home-brew Freon TF substitutes?

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Arfa Daily" ? wrote in
:

?
? "Jeff Layman" ? wrote in message
? ...
?? On 24/10/2011 13:33, Nomen Nescio wrote:
??? I last saw this in the mid 1990s. I knew a warehouse that still
??? had some drums hidden away...
??? Bloody best cleaner ever. Although some liked Genklene,
??? now also banned.
??? There are some commercial spray cleaners that claim to be
??? almost as good. I would like something in bulk for dipping
??? computer boards. Isopropyl alchohol is suggested by some,
??? but has 9% water usually.
??
?? Not sure where you are, but isopropyl alcohol is usually available
?? 99.9% pure, with a negligible water content.
??
?? --
??
?? Jeff
?
? I'd go along with that. The stuff specified as 'electronics grade' is
? typically at least 99.7% to get that rating
?
? Arfa
?
?

the IPA commonly available at drug stores is usually 90-91%,I believe,at
least in the US.

50%, 70% and 90%. I have asked several drug stores about getting
purer IPA and was told 90% is the best they can get. I use a lot of 90%
to prep for insulin shots, so I try to keep three or four bottles on
hand. There are times that I can't find 90% for a couple months at a
time.