Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default repair broken aluminum storm window

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:21:15 -0700, TimR wrote:
Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. Worth a
stop. They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a couple of
days. Sold! Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think. It does not
look easy to me.

I went to a similar place for some glass recently - I needed a piece
about 12x10" (I forget the exact dimensions) to replace a cracked pane in
our interior porch door. I knew that just one of our big DIY places in
town did glass (the others don't mess with it at all), but that it was
pretty expensive. I don't think they'd cut to size either, and I really
hate cutting glass myself if I can avoid it.

Guy behind the counter at the auto glass place charged me a buck and
actually seemed almost embarassed that he had to ask for money at all;
they took about 5 minutes to cut it to the size I needed. I'm almost
surprised that it didn't cost them more than that just in materials and
labor (I'll definitely use them again if I need any 'real' jobs, of
course :-)

cheers

Jules