Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default home made (metal) rail road car

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 05:11:30 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
A totally fascinating character who decided to build his own
rail car.
Along with photos. And movie clips. The web page appears to
be still there.

http://www.bluehaze.com.au/mmedia/rtrain/rtrain1.html

Cool project. Reminds me of the "railbikes" I've seen, small pedal
powered vehicles designed to run on old rail lines. Adding an engine
makes it a lot easier to go further though.

Elijah
------
doesn't know of any long runs of *disused* rail near him

Paternal grandfather had something like that - two wheels on one side,
one on the other, similar to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RailVelocipede.jpg

He and my father used it to come home Saturday afternoon and back
Sunday evening to the various saw mills where they worked as sawyer
and setter respectively. Train traffic was no problem with three round
trip trains per week. He stopped using it when roads were improved to
the point where automobiles became more convenient. He sold it to a
collector around 1948.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada