Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On 10/23/2011 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Now I'm not an expert, but that web site shows the teflon tape all wound
in the wrong direction! Or are they using reverse threads? I was
always taught to wind it such that the female fitting would tend to
tighten the teflon rather than push it backwards and possibly gather it
in bunches.