Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

On 10/23/11 1:36 AM, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:05 pm, J wrote:
The other day I bought a 1-oz tube of Harvey's Faucet and Valve Grease.
It's little like vaseline but stickier and more viscous. The tube
says it resists high temperatures.

I can imagine several plumbing applications for it. Has anyone used
grease instead of teflon tape?

This grease is not an appropriate substitute for teflon tape.

This grease is a lubricant.
Teflon tape's major role is that of sealant.

Contrary to the belief& recommendations some:

1) NPT threads (national pipe threads -tapered) require the use of
sealant; dope or tape
2) the right spec of teflon tape is just fine for gas
http://www.imacsystems.com/Gas_Seal_...hread_Tape.pdf

cheers
Bob

Here's grease sold as a sealant:
http://www.superior-industries.com/s...oduct_241.html

Another product is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lube Sealant

Novagard G 624 is another grease sold for sealing and lubricating.

Water was leaking around the valve cartridge in my shower because the
housing was pitted. The valve grease completes the seal between the
o-rings on the cartridge and the housing. It may also prevent further
pitting.

A few years ago, the 9" pipe for the shower head got thin and broke. I
used teflon tape to screw in a new pipe. This helped me screw it in
tight, helped it seal, and could make it easier to unscrew later. In
the case of that shower pipe, what would be wrong with using a suitable
grease, instead? It could be easier and more foolproof than teflon tape.