Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default GE rant, and oven controll board problem

George Herold wrote:
On Oct 20, 4:24 pm, John Robertson wrote:
George Herold wrote:
We have a GE profile electric oven (made in 1993). The oven stopped
working. When you pushed the button to turn the oven on the display
just blinked. A call to the local repair guy, “We don’t service GE
stuff, sorry”. I wondered why at the time. So my wife called a GE
repairman and scheduled a visit. The day before the visit he called
to get the problem details. “Oh”, he says, “You need a new oven
control board and GE no longer makes it.”
So GE’s idea is that I buy a new oven. I think I might rather have
hot pokers in my eye’s than buy a GE product!
Anyway I’m sending my board off to Fixyourboard.com tomorrow, ($160
and a two year guarantee). Now I’ve got the board sitting in front
of me, if anyone here some idea of what to try I could save the money
and time. There are no obvious blown bits on the board, and I removed
and reinstalled the one connector cable.
Thanks guys, And don’t buy a GE product!
George H.

Its almost twenty years old. That is not bad for electronic items to
finally need any service. Do you drive a 1993 car, use it daily, and
expect it to not need service?

I've got a '95 Ford van that was just retired... still used to pull a
boat to the lake. An '83 Datsun (now Nissian) pickup truck that gets
work almost every weekend. (But almost always in 4WD low gear.) And
my pride and joy, a '49 Ferguson tractor. 'course there's not to many
IC's on that to fail. :^)

And I can still get parts for all those vehicles.

George H.

Yes, you can get car parts from after market suppliers or part
manufacturers for vehicles - hobbiests get into the act after more time
(look at Model T/A parts as an example - Ford has nothing to do with
these parts...) .

Stoves and other appliances are far more reliable than cars and as such
don't support much aftermarket supplies other than the folks you found
or companies like mine where we service obsolete amusement machines (but
not stoves or other home appliances).

John :-#)#

Manufacturers generally only stock parts for up to 5 years - after that
you are at the mercy of the aftermarket folks.

Yup that's what I'm learning.
At least you found someone willing to fix it!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."- Hide quoted text -

www.flippers.com