Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default SMPS design ...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"
"Phil Allison"
No, it's regulated DC.

** With just two transistors and one mosfet ?

That is what you have told us.

And SFA else.

You shouldn't take things quite so literally, Phil. I was talking about
the primary side only when I said that, but yes, it pretty much has a
pair of small TO92 transistors, and a TO220 mosfet. Obviously, it also
has input filtering, a bridge, made of 4 discrete diodes, a main filter
cap, and assorted R and C to make those two little transistors into an
oscillator. About 20 components altogether. The secondary side is
exactly like any other fixed voltage typical design, and there is, of
course, a perfectly normal 6 pin opto for regulation feedback. Better ?

** All that needed to be in the first post, plus the operating
frequency.

Now it seems the whole story was BS anyhow.

Well, actually, it didn't, as it was irrelevant to the situation.

** The one YOU alone knew about and WE did not !!!

You ****ing pommy retard.

How the mosfet receives its drive is neither here nor there

** Was NOT the issue - you bull****ting pommy turd.

Whether the SMPS was a normal regulated, DC type WAS !!!

With only 3 active devices mentioned, it seemed unlikely.

You ****ing pommy retard.

As long as it has a pulse width modulated 'square' wave of sufficient
amplitude to fully drive the gate, how that waveform is produced is of no
consequence.

** Your qualification above was also MISSING from the story - ****head.

As to the operating frequency, yes, I probably should have stated this,
but most supplies of this sort of size, operate between 40 kHz and 80
KHz, as would be understood by anyone who works with them regularly.

** FFS - you tenth witted MORON !!

We are considering a FAULTY design scenario here.

So NO such wild assumptions can be made - at all !!!

My god you are STUPID !!!

And why do you think it's all bull**** ?

** Errr - you just told us you were wrong about the mosfet heating
issue.

You god almighty, pommy retard.

... Phil

Such eloquence.