Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Light bulbs burn out too fast

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:01:51 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

This apartment has strange problems. Incandescent bulbs burn out too
fast, usually when a switch is turned on. I monitored line voltage with
a plug-in meter that displays voltages in the range of 90 to 130. The
needle stays pointing in the green zone (110 to 125 volts). I don't live
there, but I left the meter there and the renter says it stays in the
green zone.

Two things you need. First is an accurate meter. The other is the
recording at various hours.

I had a similar problem and checked voltage. It seems that at about 6
AM, it would spike 130 to 140, then settle down to 120. Once call to
the power company solved the problem. They were increasing power in
the morning for industry coming on line, but our feed was going too
high.

I'd also check for proper grounding.