Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Broken office chair

On Oct 17, 2:50*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jim wrote:
This posting may be a little difficult to present clearly. *I
"had" a no-name office chair, at least I did until last Friday
evening. *This be a gas strut supported swivel chair that is
height adjustable. *Perhaps 10 years old.

While turning slightly I suddenly found myself on the floor. *The
top bracket, a box shaped assembly to mate the chair to the gas
strut portion had sheared.

Hate to toss out the chair base/back unit as it is nearly perfect.
*Searching online (eBay) for replacement base assemblies show
they run more than just buying a replacement chair.

If anyone here has had similar experiences I'd like to learn some
options.

Take it to a muffler shop and have it welded back together. About ten bucks.

Weld repair can be an option but caution must be exercised...... if
the weld repair is in such a location as to heat the gas shock, maybe
not such a good idea.

Mass market chairs are designed for the average plus some small margin
with respect to longevity.
My neighbor came over the his gas shock chair plus the new seat bottom
bracket.

Unfortunately it looked like the gas shock & seat bracket were a press
fit (or thermal fit) assembly with no way to disassemble.
The chair mfr had given him a new bracket but it looks he really
needed the shock / bracket assembly.

His a big guy..... like 6' 4" & pushing 300 lbs.
The chair was only ~ a year old.

cheers
Bob

cheers