Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SMPS design ...

"Arfa Daily"

I've been given a number of switchers to look at, by a company that I do
other work for. The one that concerns me here, is an open frame type,
single 12 volt output at, I would guess, 3 - 4 amps. It appears to be a
very simple design, in that the chopper drive circuit is discrete,
employing two bipolar transistors as an astable. The output of this is fed
pretty much directly to the gate of a single FET. In the drain of the FET,
is a single primary winding up to the raw rail from the input bridge.

** What sort of SMPS is this ??

One that puts out regulated DC ???

Or is it for driving 12V halogen lights with raw high frequency energy.

..... Phil