Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 17:30:05 -0500, Jeffrey Angus
wrote:

Coil works perfectly with 480 VAC applied to the bridge
recitfier. My task is to wind a new coil that will work
at 240 VAC.

You left that out of your initial rant. First sentence should be what
the [deleted expletive] you're trying to accomplish.

I did that, see the initial posting. Using DC resistance,
physical size and measured inductance.

What you want is an equal amount of magnetic force (i.e. gilberts) or
ampere-turns for both the 480VAC and 240VAC coils.

480VAC coil = 125mH and 95 ohms
XL = 2*Pi*60*125*10^-3 = 47 ohm
Total impedance is the vector sum of 95 ohms and 47 ohms =
Z = sqrt(95^2 + 47^2) = 105 ohms
Current is:
I = 480VAC / 105 ohms = 4.5A
2500 turns * 4.5A = 11,250 AT
Ok, you got that part correct.

Trying a different gauge for 240VAC. The hard part will be keeping
the max diameter to under 1.5" OD.

http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm
For #29awg, 75mH, 1990 turns, 51 ohms resistance.
XL = 2*Pi*60*75*10^-3 = 28 ohm
Z = sqrt(51^2 + 28^2) = 63 ohms
I = 240VAC / 63 ohms = 3.8A
1990 turns * 3.8A = 7580 AT

For #28awg, 60mH, 1759 turns, 37 ohms resistance.
XL = 2*Pi*60*60*10^-3 = 22.5 ohm
Z = sqrt(51^2 + 37^2) = 63 ohms
I = 240VAC / 63 ohms = 3.8A
1759 turns * 3.8A = 6700 AT

Ok, that's not going to work. Most of the impedance is coming from
the DC resistance of the wire. Decreasing the gauge decreases this
resistance, but also decreases the number of turns that will fit on a
the spool to a maximum OD of 1.5". This isn't working. I give up for
tonite.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D