Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeffrey Angus[_2_] Jeffrey Angus[_2_] is offline

Default Re-winding solenoids.

On 10/16/2011 5:14 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 15:48:07 -0500, Jeffrey
wrote:

This a 480 VAC actuator.

Make, model, and photograph?

A similar model. 2-pole 120 VAC rather than 3-pole 480 VAC.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130520617745

This is the coil itself from ASCO.
http://www.ascoparts.com/343500-063.html

Is there a copper D-ring on the top end of the solenoid?

Nope.

If the coil it dead, try disolving the epoxy.
http://www.esslinger.com/attack.aspx
It will also make a useful coil form.

Coil works perfectly with 480 VAC applied to the bridge
recitfier. My task is to wind a new coil that will work
at 240 VAC.

If you know the core dimensions and the wire gauge, you
can estimate the number of turns.

I did that, see the initial posting. Using DC resistance,
physical size and measured inductance.

The reason I'm curious is that ASCO seems to think that
the replacement coil for this is worth $585, although
they will sell it as the "sale price" of only $421.80.

Check eBay?

They have the contactors available from $750 and up, and
complete units for $1500 and up.

No solenoids only.

Jeff-1.0

--