Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Sherwood RX-5502 Receiver Protection Shutdown, Repair, thoughts wanted...

In article ,
who where wrote:

Murata now has some interesting little switching regulators which
"mimic" a 7805 - they have the same pinout, same current capacity, and
are built on a small PC board which is roughly the size and shape of a
TO-220.

Although I didn't say so explicitly, the two devices I mentioned are
also TO-220 "drop-in" switchers. It is certainly an emerging market
area.

The "Simple Switcher" (tm) parts I have seen up until now, have the
switcher controller, but you need to install external components
(inductor, etc.)., so their pinout isn't directly 7805-compatible.

The Murata parts have all of that on their own PCB - no additional
external components are required, if you can live with their output
levels.

I would expect to see other manufacturers come up with these sorts of
complete drop-in-ready modules.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO