Posted to sci.electronics.repair
who where who where is offline

Default Sherwood RX-5502 Receiver Protection Shutdown, Repair, thoughts wanted...

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:57:08 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

Alternative 3-terminal linear regs will still dissipate the same
amount of heat regardless of their current capability.

Okay...if you don't mind my asking, why is that the case? It would
seem to me that a more capable part asked to do the same work as a
less capable part would have an easier time of it.

It WILL have an easier time of it but OTOH it will still require
dissipation of the same amount of heat.

If the problem is in the load (i.e. faulty components) then that
should be where you focus your attention.

There does not appear to be any problem with anything that is powered
by the regulator's output (though I do have some suspicious caps to
replace elsewhere).

William