Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Sherwood RX-5502 Receiver Protection Shutdown, Repair, thoughts wanted...

Hi!

Actually, it sounds more like they blew the design by having too
much input voltage for the output voltage and current.

The regulator is supplied with 25 volts. While I hadn't really looked
at the curves and figures, what they are doing did not sit well with
me from the outset. Why ask the regulator to do that much work?

But I would think that adding a bit of series
resistance to the input side and letting some of the waste
heat go away there would go a long way towards extending the
life of the regulator package.

I had not thought of this and might just sit down and do the math to
see what I'd need. What I do will depend upon whether or not there is
room to put something in place without going to extremes.

William