Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Rowan (aka Mountain Ash) Burl bowl

On 08/31/2011 12:13 PM, Keith wrote:
When you say the moisture level got low enough...How low is ideal???

Well 6-7% is probably about the best you can do. I think that's what
kiln drying takes them down to. Air dried I'm seeing 8%-9%. Since the
humidity changes with the seasons, even kiln dried wood will increase in
moisture content depending on the season. Usually higher in the summer,
lower in the winter. I live in a rain forest, so my EMC (equalibrium
moisture content) will never get below 8%, even in the winter. In a
place like Arizona that would be high probably.

Ideal is an EMC that reflects the location of the piece. Any wood piece
will eventually adapt to the local humidity. The trick is to get the
wood in the shop as close to that as you can...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska