Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dale Miller[_2_] Dale Miller[_2_] is offline

Default What happened

On 08/04/2011 04:14 PM, Keith wrote:
I had a section of some kind of tree that Hurricane Igor lambasted, The
ends were coated and it sat for about 6 moths - most of it in the shed
outside where winter cold had a go at it for several months. I brought
it inside and this week, two months later decided to make a bowl for a
the friend who gave me the wood. (actually brought it from their home
500 miles away!!)

It turned out very nice and I was surprised at how light colored the
wood was...My wife was to deliver it to the friend this weekend. THEN
#$$#@ a small crack appeared and this morning it was split on one side
top to bottom.

I had sealed it and waxed it What happened?? I notice the same thing
happens with Lilac tree here. First time running into this.

Here's before and after:
Keith P

I think the wood would dry better if the ends weren't coated.
The water in the wood comes out of the wood from the ends.
This is the reason that even though you split firewood it still doesn't
help it dry any quicker. The water comes out of wood on the ends of the
wood just like it goes up the tree when it is living.

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD

Registered Linux User: #317401