Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Paul[_20_] Paul[_20_] is offline

Default A pattern, and some advice needed

--
Paul O.
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 7/24/2011 1:55 PM, Paul wrote:
Ok, here is a pattern for a block of wood I'm putting some holes in. My
question concerns the two slots, one in the upper left, and the other in
the lower right.
First of all, I drill out each end of the slot with a 1" forstner bit,
then to make the straight sides, I use a router bit in my drill press,
and with the aid of the fence on the drill press table I mill the
straight edges. This works somewhat ok, I've had some success, but the
router bit doesn't cut all that well, maybe due to the bit being a
little dulled, and, or, the rpm's being too slow.
So, just wondering, anyone got a better way to accomplish milling those
straight edges? Thanks for your suggestions.

Put a fence on the DP and use the bit to remove the wood beteen the start
and stop holes. Smooth up with sand paper or a sanding drum mounted on
the DP. Use the fence to keep evrey thing straight.

I forgot to mention, I did remove the wood between the start and stop holes.
Hmm, will try the sanding drum idea, I have some of those. Is this going to
be a duh moment. :-))