Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller cavedweller is offline

Default Sealant for aluminum panel roof

On Sep 28, 11:16*am, JP wrote:
I have been fighting a losing battle with a screen porch roof that is
made of aluminum panels butted against each other. Sealants on the
seams last about a year (18 months if lucky) before leaks start
again. *Each time I clean the old sealants off down to bare metal with
a wire brush. *I have tried the normal latex, silicon, polyvinyl etc
but they all fail. *The roof gets full Florida sun so it is UV
intensive and hot.

Any experts have a recommended product? *I have not yet tried an epoxy
based sealant fearing how hard it could be in the future to remove
it. *The panels are very tight together (no visible gaps) yet water
pours through in spots in heavy rains. *Is there a low-viscosity
product that will get between the panels and then expand?

There are rolls of pressure sensitive tape (similar to roofing
membrane) with an aluminum/mylar show surface. Available in 5", 8"
widths as I recall. I used it for just what you describe.