Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default Burn barrel ventilation holes

In article , Huge wrote:
On 2011-09-20, Windmill wrote:
I've been using an old 45 gal. diesel drum to burn leaves and branches,
and, maybe because of our excellent summer, am finding it more
difficult than expected to get everything to burn.

I had made a series of small holes (about 5/16) in the base, and a
similar series in two rings around the lower part of the barrel.
Enlarging three of the lower holes on the barrel to one inch didn't
seem to help the burning.

Does anyone have recommendations for optimum ventilation?

I ended up cutting the bottom out of ours completely. Stand it
on some bricks to raise it up off the ground.

When mine burnt through the bottom, it worked really well until it got
chucked out. Sez she, "it had a hole in the bottom". I had to get a
new one that didn't burn nearly as well ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)