Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Fascia and soffit: aluminum vs. vinyl

On Sep 14, 10:43*am, ls02 wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:56*am, "

wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:23:45 -0700 (PDT), ls02 wrote:
I need to wrap soffit and fascia on my new addition. What material,
aluminum or vinyl looks best, easier to install for an average
homeowner?

Aluminum, if you can afford it. *Vinyl-clad aluminum, if you're feeling rich.
;-)

Vinyl can sag and can look terrible. *Aluminum is almost as easy to work with.
A circular saw (I used a RAS) with a plywood blade in backwards (AND HEARING
PROTECTION) cuts it very easily. *It goes up easily and looks great. Soffits
and Facia are a piece of cake.

Thanks everyone. I never heard of Vinyl-clad aluminum. How is it
better than plain aluminum? I also though you cut aluminum coil with
metal snipers.

I have two questions:

1. How to bend aluminum? I don't have any specialized equipment.

2. How to patch aluminum seams to look good? Should I use caulk?

Yep, those making recommendations didn't read the last part of your
message. Although aluminum and vinyl clad aluminum are the better
products, they are also harder to install for the average homeowner.
You need to rent/borrow a metal brake to bend the aluminum. You also
need to make exact measurements and carefully plan out compound
bends. In other words you need the tools & experience to do a decent
job yourself. Vinyl is much easier to install for the average
homeowner.