Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

willshak wrote:
millinghill wrote the following:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for
1/2" diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I
want to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I
split two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But
what do I seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and
unstick after a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out
or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all
the cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct
tape is still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone
through hot summers and cold winters without deteriorating.

Thanks. That might help with a couple trouble spots I have on bends.