Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Alde bubble gas leak detector, how does it work (and where to buy cheaply)?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm submitted this idea :
It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a brewing/wine
making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a liquid,
hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near the supply after
the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas being passed into the system. If all
the taps are off, then you know something is leaking or letting by.

I would agree with that description, though I have never seen one.

They are probably not much more useful than checking for leaks by
turning everything off, then the regulator off - leaving it off for a
while, then back on. If the regulator hisses, then you have leaked some
pressure. You do though have a constant check with the bubbler, for
potential leaks.

If it's that simple why is it so expensive?

Though looking at a close up of the device:-
http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

it seems as if you could well be right. You have to "Press the red
cap" for the leak detection to operate so presumably normally the gas
bypasses the leak detector chamber.

It still seems a bit of a rip-off price, typical boat equipment! :-)

--
Chris Green