Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Attaching 2x4 to cinder block wall

I am looking for suggestions on how to attach a 2x4 to a cinder block wall.

Here is the scenario. The 2x4 will be running horizontally on the interior
of a basement wall below the ground level. It will be attached flat to the
wall similar to a ledger board. The wall is made of cinder block (not
cement block I assume because the property was built in 1948). The basement
was completely gutted down to the exterior walls and all new walls were
framed out with 2x4's for a complete remodel of a basement level apartment.
All of the exterior walls were framed out with 2x4's with the studs about
1/4-inch away from the wall and secured at the top and bottom with top
plates and bottom plates.

However, about 15 feet of one exterior wall has a 4-inch PVC sewer line
running along the bottom of the wall about 6 inches above the floor level.
So, the wall above that sewer line cannot be attached to a bottom plate
along the floor because the sewer line is in the way.

What I want to do is run that wall down to a wood "bottom plate" that is
actually attached to the wall instead of to the floor. To do that, I want
to attach a horizontal 2x4 flat to the cinder block wall with anchor bolts
of some sort. Then nail a second 2x4 on top of that to create the new
"bottom plate" for the wall above the sewer line.

Since the 2x4 will be attached to the wall below the outside ground level, I
was thinking of using some type of rubber or similar strip to try to isolate
the wood from making direct contact with the cinder block to avoid moisture
and termite problems. And, maybe I would use pressure treated wood for that
one 2x4 -- but I'm not sure about that idea.

So, one question I have is what to use between the wood and the wall --
rubber, tar paper, or what?

And, the second question is how to attach the first horizontal 2x4 to the
wall. I know there are different types of anchors that could be used. One
possibility would be anchors that go through the cinder block where the
hollow part is and anchor from the back. Another possibility would be
anchors that just get drilled into the cinder block but make sure that they
go in where the block is solid all the way through.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated -- especially regarding what
type of anchors to buy and use to secure the 2x4 to the wall.

Thanks.