Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sheetrock?

On 8/22/2011 10:12 AM, Sonny wrote:
Actually, I wasn't thinking, last night, when I posted the query. I
recall thinking something wasn't right, in that, I was aware it was
the Chinese plywood that had issues with formaldehyde (FEMA trailers
especially, post-Katrina), not sheetrock. Anyway.....

My post was on behalf of a lady in a gardening chat room, I visit.
She is in the Corpus Christi, Tx area and is having some remodeling
work done. She stated her contractor told her there was no problem
with sheetrock, but she didn't know any better.... if it was sheetrock
(or something else) that had issues concerning formaldehyde. Her not
knowing any better, she mentioned her concern in the chat room and I
told her I would ask, here, to make sure. I gave her the link to
here, so she may pop in for commenting. Her name is Jan. I'm sure
your comments will be a relief for her. Thanks.

Other chat room members were interested in the facts, also.

There are a number of US plywood sheet goods manufacturers with either
"no formaldehyde" or ""no formaldehyde added" products.

Columbia Forrest Products plywood, which is usually available Home
Depot, is made here in the US with a formaldehyde free glue, so should
be something that is easy to find.

Probably worse than plywood with formaldehyde content is MDF.

Temple-Inland, among others, makes a formaldehyde free MDF product which
you can usually find at better lumber yards, plywood dealers.

With the emphasis on green building these days, there are a lot more of
these products than there used to be. As a builder I've had to stay up
on what is available as it is a question I get asked ten times a day.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010