Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Reinforced (door) strike plates

On Aug 17, 5:49*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
Little brick bungalow in a midwest US city. Quikset door locks.

When I moved in 25+ years ago, everybody had just knob-set locks on their doors.
Burglars got more active, folks added deadbolts, mostly with the little
Mickey-Mouse screws holding lite strike plates. Thats what I got now.

Burglars keep getting worse and worse, just kicking in rear doors. I need to
reinforce my locks.

I got front and rear doors, each with a knob-set and a deadbolt. Old lite
strike plates are about 2 1/4 " long. There is about 1 1/2 " between the
plates on the rear door, about 3" betwixt on the front.

I figure I'd be reasonably secure if I could get, say, a single very heavy duty
strike plate to handle both locks on each door using 6 or 8 3.5" screws driven
into the 2 2x4's in the door frame.

I checked Lowes and HD online, stopped by 1 hardware store, called a
locksmith. Doesn't look like they have anything like what I need (the usual
case).

Any ideas? Whats the best I could do for, say, $20-40 per door, installing
myself?

To be secure you really have to reinforce both sides - the door and
the jamb. There's also the visual deterent. Your door will look
tougher to get into so they'll be less likely to try and go for an
easier target.

Check Amazon for:
Security Strike, Brushed Nickel 6"H x 1-1/8"W by Mintcraft $8.32
Door Reinforcer, 4" x 4 1/2" Brushed Nickel by Mintcraft $7.79
Door Reinforcer, 4" x 9" Brushed Nickel by Mintcraft $9.76

Please note I came in right in the middle of your budget range at
around $30. I expect extra points when you do your grading.