Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Mounting Shelf Without Damaging Walls?

On Aug 17, 8:50*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to mount the corner shelf in this picture on my daughter's dorm
room wall. I am not allowed to drill holes in the wall or damage the
walls in any way.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...lockshelf.jpg/

The shelf is to hold a clock radio. Last year I used strips of Velcro on
the sides and it held for a few months, but eventually the weight of the
clock and it's use (pushing buttons) caused the Velcro to pull off of
the wall.

I then added the dowel (again using Velcro) mounted at a 45 degree angle
below the shelf to support the front and it worked fine, but I didn't
like the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to mount the shelf so that it
holds without the dowel? 3M Command strips? Removable Silicon adhesive?

Yes, I am aware that any surface mount that I use could fail because of
the paint on the walls, but let's assume that the paint will hold.

Thanks!

It's probably just the size of the picture and the way the shelf fills
the frame, but the shelf looks thick and heavy. Is it? You don't
mention what the wall surface is. Drywall, concrete block, plaster?

If it's drywall you might think about those Hercules Hook things. Two
of those would hold it and the holes left would be tiny. A dab of
toothpaste with a little coloring in it is the usual way for a tenant
to cover up a hole cheaply and quickly.