Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Clean up Disintegraed foam?

On Jul 24, 1:41*am, mike wrote:
Black foam is used as cushioning in equipment cases.
After some time, It disintegrates into an oily gunk.
What's a good way to clean up the mess?
Alcohol doesn't seem to help.
I'm afraid to get too aggressive with chemicals
cause I'd like to keep the outside plastic case intact.
Suggestions?

Haven't had to deal with that problem for some years, but a good
procedure might be to shop the solvent section at your paint store and
pick up the smallest container of every solvent they have along with
some Stripeze paint remover (contains methylene chloride). Regular
paint thinner won't work, so skip that. Automotive gas additive HEET
is all methanol which has much different solvent properties from
ethanol so try both. Based on the chemistry of the materials, xylene
may be a good prospect. If the case is molded polypropylene you should
get a good result.

Joe