Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Clean up Disintegraed foam?

On 7/24/2011 3:04 AM, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
spewed forth:
Black foam is used as cushioning in equipment cases.
After some time, It disintegrates into an oily gunk.
What's a good way to clean up the mess?
Alcohol doesn't seem to help.
I'm afraid to get too aggressive with chemicals
cause I'd like to keep the outside plastic case intact.
Suggestions?

try WD 40, it will clean spray foam adhesive of your hands, so I would
think it would clean dead foam

Yeah, that stuff is nasty once it self-destructs. Best solvent depends
on what type of foam it is, so you want to remove as much as you can
with it dry, using a sharp putty knife. Never tried wd-40, but I usually
start with the less disgusting materials like windex, goof-off, 90%
rubbing alcohol, and spray cans of cheap hairspray. If anybody has other
suggestions, please speak up- I have a couple of salvaged Zero cases in
my 'one of these days' project pile that I have been procrastinating
cleaning up. I don't use the rubbery-feeling black foam any more- I use
the the gray or pink stuff electronic gear is packed in now. Not as much
shock protection, but it does not get sticky. If I can scrounge it, I
use the closed-cell stiff foam- much harder to trim to fit, but it seems
to last forever.

--
aem sends...