Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default cast to PVC

On 07/23/11 12:37 PM, Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message

There is no such thing as a plumbing fitting which will screw
into the threads on clean out plug to extend the drain line...

Do this job properly with the correct type of fittings...

~~ Evan

Actually that is not true.

There was an adapter sold at one time that did exactly that. I think I saw
it at an online plumbing specialty store just a year or so ago. The one I
removed from service went from a 4" CO to 2" female thread.

I do however agree that cleaning out the hub and using a rubber donut or
cutting the pipe and using a Fernco is the better approach.

I actually know of one installed in a basement bathroom where the
homeowner added a sink to a bathroom that previously only had a shower
and a toilet...and a clean out in the slab.

IIRC it took 2 reducers: a cast iron 4" OD to 3 1/2" ID (female) reducer
that screwed into the clean out, then a cast iron 3 1/2" OD to 2" ID
(female) that accepted a threaded PVC adapter into which a 2" PVC drain
pipe was glued.

I'm not sure why a rubber donut wasn't used.