Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default water damage to vinyl tile

wf3h wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:58:22 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

wf3h wrote:
had a minor flood in the basement bathroom. vinyl floor tiles
lifted. what's the best way to re-install them?

You can buy cement/glue used for non-pre-glued tile. It does a
pretty good job.

I'm with John on tiling the floor for real. Shop around for the
cheapest ceramic tile you can find. The best commercial prices I've
found are at Floor & Decor outlets - about $0.66/sq ft.

I've done only four rooms, so I'm no expert; I watched a few YouTube
videos and picked up a few tricks.

* I own a 12" tile cutter which doesn't work for squat on 13" tiles.
An angle grinder with a ceramic blade does an adequate job.

*Thinset is an excellent transition material when going from one
level to another, say tile to vinyl. It smooths nicely and is
stronger than dirt.

* Like any other flooring, remove the baseboards before tiling. Use
this opportunity to patch and repaint them.

* Instead of the little foam X's to get the distance between the
tiles correct, I used 3/8" dowel rods.

thanks much, bub. may have to go this route

Good luck. It's a full two week-end job, but the results will be worth it.

Oh, one more tip: You may find that the existing tiles just won't, goddamn
it, come up! You can get a scraper blade for your reciprocating saw that
will make the job, well, just trivial! The blade turns your Sawzall into a
power scraper. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

The blade can be found next to the other Sawzall blades at your box store.
About ten bucks and worth every penny (it can even be resharpened with a
file for continued use).