Posted to uk.d-i-y
SS[_2_] SS[_2_] is offline

Default How many coats of undercoat

"Cash" wrote in message
SS wrote:
Is there a limit to the amount of undercoats to put down before
applying a final coat of gloss.
One side of my porch gets hammered by the weather over winter and have
currently I have taken it back to the wood, so far I have given it 2
undercoats but wondering if there is any benefit by giving another
couple of coats before a final gloss.

SS,

Try two coats of undercoat and two coats of gloss (that usually gives me a
five year life on outside work) - but it is far more important to prepare
the surfaces properly first.

I.E.

1 - Rub down to remove all loose and denuded areas - ensuring that all
paint edges are 'feathered' and all sharp edges of wood have arrises
removed (slightly rounded)

2 - Repair any damaged areas properly (renewal, filler etc)

3 - Full prime or spot prime any bare or new timbers - and rub down when
dry

4 - Check priming work for missed or damaged work - and touch up as
necessary - light down when dry

5 - Apply first and second coats of undercoat - rubbing down when dry

6 - Apply first and second top coat - rubbing down between the two coats
only

7 - DON'T apply each coat very thickly - you'll get lots of runs that will
be difficult to sort out.

If you are priming new, bare timber, give it two coats - thinning the
first cost to a 50/50 mix of paint and solvent.

Try not to thin the second primer, undercoat and gloss coats as you are
trying to get a good "body" of paint that will cover and last .

Always you the best quality paint that you can afford and try and paint
the work on a dry, cloudy, windless day if possible (nothing "flashes off
the paint quicker than a hot, sunny or windy day).

Cash

Thanks guys, I have done most of the above but as the original paint was
badly flaking (I think gloss on gloss) I used a heat gun to remove it, then
sanded down.
Odd bits of bare wood in places with removing paint and went to get a primer
but found only primer/undercoat so used that. I have given 2 coats and in a
couple of bits retouched where underlying colour was showing through. I have
a pretty consistent overall white now.
Checking the weather and I have a 24 hour window of no rain so want to crack
on tomorrow with glossing.

I didnt thin the first coat of primer/undercoat but too late now. But have
gone for thin application coats.