Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many coats of undercoat

SS wrote:
Is there a limit to the amount of undercoats to put down before applying a
final coat of gloss.
One side of my porch gets hammered by the weather over winter and have
currently I have taken it back to the wood, so far I have given it 2
undercoats but wondering if there is any benefit by giving another couple of
coats before a final gloss.

primer is more to the point I'd have thought.

Wood painting I reckon goes like this

1/. Knotting to seal any resins.

2/. Primer to key to the wood and fill the grain. Lots of coats

3/. Undercoat to build up colour

4/. Gloss to be a protective layer and bend the undercoat colour towards
final.

So I'd say put on more TOP coats.
the key thing is an impernmeable top coat. Id probably recommend a two
pack yacht pain if I knew more about those. But they are reputed to be
the dogs ********.