Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Dealing with height on ladders.

In article om, brass
monkey scribeth thus

"SS" wrote in message
I really need to paint the soffit board and sort some guttering problem is
:-

A. Cant really afford a pro and I am capable of doing the work.
B. beyond around 10 feet I am crap on a ladder, even if I got higher I
would be hanging on rather than doing anything.

Ideally I would like to get the work done this summer although could
probably wait til next year.

Anyone else got this `fear` of height/ladders and how did you overcome it.
I just done feel safe or comfortable 20 feet up. Is there a better type
ladder I could use thinking it may be cheaper to buy something, use it,
then sell on ebay.

It is more working from a ladder than the height (I think) as I am
currently painting the window above the front porch, it has a steep roof
but I can access from the bedroom window, I just tie a rope around the bed
hang it out and use that as a comfort thing. Strange thing is I cannot
access the porch roof from a ladder, I tried and just got scared and
backed off.

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.
thanks

Get a man in. A chap I knew was doing the very same thing, he fell off and
the funeral followed.

Well I avoided the funeral but a month in hospital with a coma c/w
fractured skull and broken femur and some ongoing pains after all
that;!...

Wasn't the ladders fault.. it was what it was tied and supported by that
gave way .. long storey.

I reckon that if the OP isn't or doesn't feel confident then don't do it
Either a hydraulic platform if possible or well secured tower or get
someone in.

I am used to very tall structures and still climb those, differing fall
arrest systems, but am now that bit more wary of ladders. Used to use
'em every day years ago up on rooftops etc but I suppose once
bitten;!...

However some very good advice coming up here especially re securing as
this I believe is where it usually goes wrong with gutters and suchlike
the -sideways- slide..

So if you can get a fix or something like supports that go out either
side of the ladder and a stand off system?..

But if you don't feel happy .. then don't go up there...
--
Tony Sayer