Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Base cabinet for front-load washer?

On Jul 2, 7:09*pm, "RimaNeas" wrote:
I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16 inches. *I
can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? *I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. *I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... *Any info/experience would be appreciated.

A number of the front load washer manufacturers make pedestals for
just such a situation, and you should investigate that route before
committing time and money into building one. They're not cheap, but
if you keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist you could probably scoop one
up for a reasonable amount. A drawer in the store-bought pedestal
base is a major benefit, and the pedestals usually bolt to the
underside of the machine so there's little danger of the thing walking
off.