Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Button polish or teak oil for stair rail?

On Jul 2, 9:22*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I've installed a couple of stair handrails in my house. They are made of
pine which I have stained. What would be the most suitable finish: button
polish, or teak oil or is the difference insignificant?

Best finish is "Patina", a gel polyurethane. Screwfix used to have it,
now I have to buy it in Lancashire, where they make it.

Otherwise a danish oil (an oil varnish blend) will work pretty well,
as a compromise between a hardened film-forming oil and a varnish.

Shellac (your button polish) is too shiny & slippery for grip on a
handrail.

Teak oil is a non film-forming oil - i.e. one that sinks right in.
Doesn't look too bad in some cases, but it will only last at all on a
good tropical hardwood. On softwood, even on most UK hardwoods,
there's not enough of a robust surface to it. It's also a rip-off
price! If you want oil (and it's not justified on pine, even if your
handrails are actually pine rather than the more likely hemlock or
spruce) then a commecially blend tung oil base is a better starting
point. Try Liberon's "Finishing Oil".