Posted to alt.home.repair
Fat-Dumb and Happy Fat-Dumb and Happy is offline

Default Blown in cellulose in new construction

aemeijers wrote:
On 6/30/2011 6:56 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:22:35 -0400,
wrote:

Since all the walls are open, I'd price pro-applied spray foam as well.
Superior insulation, and it acts as its own vapor barrier. Probably
higher up front cost, but quick payback in heat/cooling costs. But why
insulate above basement, unless it is gonna be finished living space and
you are looking for sound deadening?

_If Walls Could Talk_ ... 31% of all air leakage can be attributed to
walls, floors and ceilings.

http://www.icynene.com/homeowner/

A fellow I know built new, had Icynene sprayed in and never looked
back. Only positive stories about his comfort and lower utility bills.

I would certainly use the stuff if I ever built new, for sure.

My point being that a properly-built and dry basement (which usually has
first-floor ducts running through it) is part of the heated envelope
anyway, or pretty close to it. I'd insulate basement sidewalls below
frost depth before I insulated basement ceiling, unless I really needed
the sound deadening. Even in an unheated house, basement slab is usually
well above freezing from ground warmth. And in summer, it is usually a
lot cooler than the rest of the house. Makes life a lot easier for your
HVAC and wallet. Basement is sorta like an earth-bermed structure.
Smaller delta on the temp swings, and buffers the daily temp changes.

Best return on investment? Some think so,
Cellulose,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybp93Jx6Tg