Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

"James Nipper" wrote in message
net...
I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, two
acres of which are cleared and developed. I have areas away from the
house area in which I need water access for watering plants, flowers,
etc. Ideally, I would love to have about three faucets in areas that are
up to about 400 feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of "T's"
add several branches (hoses) to allow me to water in several selected
areas. But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be pretty expensive,
and it all seems so "temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of
about 500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the
name of the current most common), and then run my hose branches from
that ? (The main line would have to lay on the ground, through the
woods). Whatever I use, I need to be able to drain the line during
winters, but I suppose I could get fittings for this equipped with a
drain screw or valve or something.

Any ideas of what I should look for, or use ? Any general ideas of how
to accomplish what I am trying to do ?

I agree that poly pipe is the least expensive course of action. 500 foot of
3/4" is only about $65 at this site:
http://www.submatic.com/catalog/poly-flex-hose.html

Pex would cost a lot more. Your local prices might vary a bit but should
still be well under a hundred.

I don't have a clue as to the UV effect on poly pipe. Buried it lasts for a
very long time. A water line I installed in 1969 is still in use today.

--
Colbyt