Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ret.[_5_] Ret.[_5_] is offline

Default How to adjust PVC door hinges (pictures)

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

Does anyone know how I can adjust these hinges on a PVC door
(dropping at the latch side)

I hope the links work.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...20Dates/h1.jpg

This one looks off center..

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0Dates/h11.jpg

The hinge is deliberately made with an eccentric pin. By rotating
the plastic wheel (and hence the pin) using the screwdriver slot,
you can get some degree of adjustment. When you replace the
plastic cap, which should have a couple of pegs on the underside,
it stops the wheel from rotating in normal use.

+1

Be careful to try and adjust them all evenly. It looks like one is
different to the others, so I'd reset all of them, then back out again
a notch at a time. This stops the door or frame moving as much. I
know they're not supposed to 'much', but UPVC doors do experience
thermal expansion and in our school I have to adjust them every
season, it seems.

One problem is they're usually delivered as a pre-set door/frameset to
a building site and some builders just whack them in any old how, not
caring if they're hung well or true, so it might be worth making up a
plumb line to check the verticals and a spirit level for horizontals
and make a decent job of it.

OTOH, a lot of the time it's suck it and see, a twiddle here, a
twiddle there and job's a good 'un .. .

My uPVC front door (which is the typical type with a frame with a 'sandwich'
filler of part glass and part moulded plastic) occasionally drops slightly
and catches at the bottom. I have found that this has nothing to do with the
hinges - but is the frame itself slipping out of shape (In effect the top
and bottom of the door frame start to slope down slightly). If I bend down
and grip the underneath of the door at the latch end and heave up, this puts
the frame back into shape and the door no longer catches. I perhaps have to
do this once or twice a year.

When I refer to the door 'frame' in this context - I am not talking about
the frame into which the door fits - but rather the outer frame of the door
itself, into which is fitted the moulded insert.

--
Kev