Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Multi-point locks and wooden doors

On Jun 12, 4:11*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 11/06/2011 12:21, wrote:

I don't want to put you off too much - but your joinery should be of
the level "I check my work with vernier callipers - because I sure
can't see any inaccuracies"

That's scary. *Make sure your paintwork is perfect too, because you
don't want the wood drying out and shrinking, or getting damp and
expanding, with the seasons...

Andy

I doubt the multopoint lock strip would tolerate much warping in the
door. Vaguely from memory - the main channel was 15 mm wide by 2mm
deep (to hold the metal strip) with an 11mm wide by 9mm deep channel
within that (to hold the backplate containing the gubbins/trackrods on
the back). Plus mortices for the mechanisms.

With a quality commercial exterior timber door, it should be pretty
flat (though I would check, and if necessary return it, if the lock
side is bowed by more than say 2-3mm).

The door will need to close up very evenly into the frame too, so
checks for true/squareness needed here as well.

I've found these hinges...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lift-off-h...ack-of-2/51305

....make it easier to hang a door accurately, as they are suited to
using a 25mm router bit to produce a perfectly parallel recess.

(note the hinges come in left and right - and aren't interchangeable)