Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default Building a breeze block wall

Hi All

Wondering if anyone can give me tips with a small project.

I have an issue in my garden whereby I had a patio laid down, then had a
small brick wall built and then had some turf laid.

The issue is that the wall itself is a bit rubbish and is starting to
fall apart. Having spoken to a bricklayer by chance today he was
explaining to me about using breezeblocks to build a wall and then
covering with proper bricks or just rendering the whole thing.

I have decided I want to build a breezeblock wall that is maybe 2 -3
blocks high and 2 blocks out - which can then be used as seating

Current wall picture he

http://imageshack.us/g/577/img3028q.jpg/

I do not believe the grass/mud is putting any pressure on the wall
because it was filled in afterwards and is actually sloping away from
the wall.

My questions a

a) what is the best type of breeze block to use for this job? There are
so many

b) the bricklayer was explaining that you leave a gap beteen the blocks
(so sort of 2 walls) but you can put something in between them to make
it stronger - any ideas?

c) One problem I have with the patio is drainage, as you can see with
the current wall I have drilled a couple of holes on the floor level
which allows some water to go behind the wall into the mud. I would like
to make a better job of it this time - any ideas? I was thinking of
drilling some bigger holes into the bottom of the breezeblock and having
plastic piping going into the mud...

d) I plan to render the wall whe nfinished - any part that is visible -
but what about the back facing the mud - will it be OK left untouched or
will it need somesort of weatherproofing? bearing in my it could be wet
a lot of the time!

Any other things I should consider?