Posted to uk.d-i-y
gazz gazz is offline

Default 13A Sockets with built in USB points

Don't fit one, you cant turn them off so they waste power all the time.

They say that when the USB shutter is closed the USB is off.

that is true,
there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time, some
bitching over whether it's a switched mode psu or a transformer based psu,
and how if it's transformer based how much heat it'll be producing behind
the socket,
they then go on to claim that as it's most likely a switcher psu, it'll
still get hot, as your laptops smpsu does.... all mine do but only when
providing around 4 amps at 19 volts, not 2.5 watts at max power output that
the usb socket does (it's rated at 600Ma), and all my smpsu's are stone cold
when not connected to the laptops but still plugged in to the mains.

then when someone pointed out that the psu is only on when the shutter is
raised, so they started claiming the switch in the shutter will likely fail,
and you'll only realize it when you get your next power bill and notice the
increase!!!

It's a great idea - but I would recon on the 13A socket standard (and a
typical fitting) outlasting the USB standard by at least a factor of two.

So what, it's 4 quid for one of them,
people spend more on cat 5/6 sockets, and they will likely be obsolete in a
few years time too as something better comes along and they cant handle the
multi gig speeds we use for data coms then.