Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Sticking radiator thermostat

On Sun, 29 May 2011 11:48:09 +0100
"Ret." wrote:

Davey wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:51:49 +0000 (UTC)
Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when
called but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have
swapped the actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no
effect. Is there anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have
to drain the whole system to replace it, which seems the only
other option.

I usually unscrew the head, turn it upside down and use it to work
the pin slightly, till it frees up... THEN, I do get my tools if
it still sticks and a can of WD40/PlusGas/silicone grease/whatever
and lubricate it. It may be sticking cos it's leaking slightly.

I have just moved into a house fitted with these, Honeywell made.
They all seem to work more like a setting valve rather than as a
thermostat. Do I not need to drain any water, just undo the head
somehow, and then find a pin under there? I haven't tried anything
yet, other things need more attention!

No, you don't need to drain anything to get at the operating pin -
although if the valves are completely knackered you will have to
drain the system down to replace them of course.

There are various ways of removing TRV heads - with some you might
need a hex key - with others you simply rotate the head to the
'hottest' setting and slide a collar back to release it.

Thanks for the info. These might just move higher up the list now. I'll
try the easiest to get at first, of course.
Thanks.
--
Davey.