Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Sticking radiator thermostat

On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:51:49 +0000 (UTC)
Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when
called but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have
swapped the actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no
effect. Is there anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have
to drain the whole system to replace it, which seems the only other
option.

I usually unscrew the head, turn it upside down and use it to work
the pin slightly, till it frees up... THEN, I do get my tools if
it still sticks and a can of WD40/PlusGas/silicone grease/whatever
and lubricate it. It may be sticking cos it's leaking slightly.

I have just moved into a house fitted with these, Honeywell made. They
all seem to work more like a setting valve rather than as a thermostat.
Do I not need to drain any water, just undo the head somehow, and then
find a pin under there? I haven't tried anything yet, other things
need more attention!
--
Davey.