Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh[_3_] Charlie Groh[_3_] is offline

Default Spraying Latex with HVLP

On 5/22/2011 9:39 PM, Rich wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I have a Graco 3 stage HVLP. Love it for shellac, lacquer, poly, dye,
etc. I bought a bigger tip. I have a 2qt pot that takes pressure from
my compressor then a material line out to a gun which has the hvlp air
also. It blew the BIN primer well but the Latex\Enamel Semi Gloss was
almost to heavy to spray but I got a decent spray after tweaking the
flow\air\etc.

I am getting small air bubbles in the paint. Just pin head sized but
lots of them they don't pop and end up leaving nibs once dry.

I know this setup is barely strong enough to blow latex but wondering
if anyone has any ideas. I did use some flowtrol. Not sure if that was
the issue or if I should use more or what.

I am pretty sure I had the gun and lines clear of the alcohol from
cleaning the bin and I sprayed one side of 6 cabinet doors and was
still getting bubbles although tweaking to lees paint seemed to help a
bit.

....I can't get latex to spray "right" out of my hvlp, either. I
ended-up at HD and, too cheap to go for the real deal, bought a Wagner
"Paint Crew" airless for a couple of sheets. It works like a
champ...little bit of a mess, but the results are pro.

cg