Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to replace coax cable. Need advice.

On Apr 14, 6:45*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Jo" wrote in message

The coaxial cable for cable tv that goes to my second floor tvs needs
to be replaced. The coax cable somehow runs up onto my roof, through
the attic, and then connects to a splitter in the attic. The cable is
hidden in some places and runs through small holes. The cable company
told me it would cost me a lot if they replaced it. After the lousy
service I've had from them in the past and the fact that they step on
the ducts running through the attic, I'd actually prefer to replace
this cable myself.

How difficult would it be for me to replace this cable? It looks
fairly easy except for in the few places it's hidden along with the
fact that I don't know how to get it through some of the holes. I
figure they must use some special device for running it through the
holes in the walls. I think I can get my father to help with this
project. I'd just like to know how hard it would be and what kind of
tools I'd need. I also don't want to remove the existing cable until I
can get the new one in. I don't know if two coax cables will fit
through the holes. Any thoughts?

** It may be that the cable is an older RG-59U, and not adequate for
transmitting a decent picture today. If there is no clear path to run a new
cable it could be a difficult job, even for an experienced person. It's
doubtful that you can just connect a new cable to the existing one and pull
it, as there are usually some staples involved- Hide quoted text -

Also, it sounds like the part of the cable that has been identified
as
bad runs across the outside of the roof, then goes inside the attic
to a splitter. I'd replace that part of the run first and see how it
works then. It's possible that this exposed cable is the main
problem. It's also probably the longest run too, so losses there
will add up more than shorter runs to rooms from the attic.

For doing the rest, if you have attic access above INTERIOR
walls, it's generally not too difficult. Outside walls with
insulation are a problem. An alternative with some rooms
could be to place a new cable outlet in a spot with an
interior wall. I'm sure if you google for "running TV coax
cable, etc you will find tips, videos, etc.